Wednesday 29 October 2014

Bye Bye Belgium

Sunday was our last day in Belgium.  I was sad to see this weekend, and the chocolate and waffles, go!  It was such a fun time in an awesome country.

To start the morning, Grace, Jane, and I got our last waffle (so sad), and some Starbucks.  I needed to take advantage of a Starbucks when I saw one!  I am patiently waiting for the holiday cups to come out, which I am hoping will be very soon :)  My last waffle was a great one: a Belgian waffle covered with strawberries and chocolate, a breakfast of champions to say the least.  We then walked to Sablon to a store we had stopped in on Friday.  Grace and I saw some items we were thinking of buying, but it was closed when we got there!

After, we headed to the Atomium.  This is said to be the "Eiffel Tower of Belgium."  It is a very large aluminum structure in the shape of atoms that was built for the first World Fair after WWII.  It received its name from combining atom and aluminum--clever, right????  We toured this for a little while and then waited (forever) to go to the top.  I have to say, I was kind of unimpressed with the views.  It is so far removed from the city that you really do not see anything spectacular.  I would recommend going to just see the structure itself, but it is really not worth the time to go inside!

We then headed back to Sablon for lunch, and to check if the shop Grace and I were looking to go in was open yet.  We had lunch at an Italian restaurant, which was very good!  Want to hear something shocking?  They ACTUALLY served bread with this meal, something you never find in Europe!  After lunch, we went to the store, and it was open!  The universe clearly wanted us to go shopping here.  I got a new bag, some gifts, and Jane, Grace, and I all got matching bracelets.  We figured we needed something to remind us of Belgium when Grace goes back to Wake Forest next semester!

Unfortunately, it was then time to leave Belgium :(  Maybe I will be back one day!

Be back soon!

XO,

Caitlin


My last waffle :(

View from the top of the Atomium 

Me, Grace, and Jane at the Atomium 


Grace, Jane, and myself at lunch!





No comments:

Post a Comment