Thursday 12 March 2015

Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland

Saturday was our first full day in Interlaken.  It was a beautiful day, about 50 and sunny.  We could not have asked for more perfect weather.

To start the day, Jane and I decided to go snow shoeing.  Interlaken is a big ski place, and since we do not ski, we decided we would do this instead!  I was really excited to get in the mountains and see some snow, at last.  That may sound crazy, that I want to see snow, because I know everyone at home is so sick of the snow.  I have seen almost none this winter!  The snow shoe tour was incredible.  It was about two hours, and we were led all throughout the mountains.  This was so much harder than I thought it would be, and it was so hot, we were in t-shirts, but it was so much fun.  I felt like I was in a movie.  The scenes were absolutely incredible.

After snow shoeing, Jane and I headed back into town to get some lunch.  We stopped at a cafe to have a sandwich and rest our legs for a little while.  The afternoon was definitely a workout, so we thought we would reward ourselves with the best brownie in the world.  The cafe we ate at, Utopia, is known to have some amazing sweets, and these brownies did not disappoint.  Swiss chocolate is delicious.

Once we refueled, Jane and I walked to one of the two lakes surrounding Interlaken (hence the name).  The one we walked to was Brienz.  It took us about 45 minutes, and it was a very scenic walk.  When we arrived to the lake, Jane and I were in awe.  The mountains, lake, setting sun, oh my goodness, it looked like a painting!  We hung out around the lake for about a half hour, we never wanted to leave.  However, the sun was starting to go down so we wanted to make it back before dark!

When we got back into the town center, Jane and I stopped for some hot chocolate to warm up.  We went to a restaurant the had a front patio, overlooking the alps.  This could not be real life!  I was sitting among the Swiss alps, drinking hot chocolate, after a day of snow shoeing...unbelievable.  After warming up, we headed to the hostel to clean up before dinner and hang out for a little while.  We were wiped out!

At around 8 PM, we headed out for dinner.  We went to this famous restaurant called Hüsi Bierhaus.  They are famous for having lots and lots of different types of beer and great food, a perfect tourist spot.  Jane and I totally pigged out having nachos and pulled pork sandwiches, delicious!

Saturday was an AWESOME day.  Be back soon!

XO,

Caitlin  

Top of the world!

I fell down this about five times getting down the mountain.


WOW

Lake Brienz

Walking from the lake! 


No comments:

Post a Comment