Saturday 30 August 2014

North Cork

Friday was another field trip day! We were going to North Cork to see three sites, a Wedge Tomb in Labbacallee, Co. Cork, Mitchelstown Cave, Co. Tipperary, and the Rock of Cashel, Co. Tipperary.  I love days when we have field trips, especially when it is right after an exam. It was a great way to continue seeing the surround areas of Ireland.

The first stop was Labbacllee.  This is a Wedge Tomb dating back to the Chalcolithic Age.  What makes this even more fascinating, you ask?  Cork is home of the largest Wedge Tomb in all of Ireland! I was lucky enough to see this firsthand.  We were able to go inside and explore (not that it is very big) and see what it was like.  The tomb was so unassuming, it was basically in someones front yard of a farm!  Ireland is so relaxed...ahhhh I really do love it!

The next stop was Mitchelstown Cave in Co. Tipperary.  These caves were SO cool!  We were not allowed to take pictures, unfortunately.  I wish I could have because this sight was incredible.  There were these large, sparkly boulders everywhere.  At one point, we were 200 meters underground!  In order to get to the end of the cave, you have to walk down 87 steps, all which curve in a million different directions (at times challenging for a klutz like myself).  This was my favorite spot of the day.  It was so quiet, and everything was unbelievably natural looking.  I would be more than happy to take some visitors there when they arrive!!!

Last stop (after lunch, of course, which also had CHOCOLATE CAKE...yum) we went to the Rock of Cashel in Co. Tipperary.  When we got here, I noticed that it looked very familiar and I realized I came here with my family six years ago!  The weather, unfortunately, was starting to get Ireland-esque (rainy and windy).  This historical setting was from around the 12th century!  It was still very beautiful, and full of a lot Celtic art fixtures.  

On our way home, I was slowly fading and not feeling too great, so there were no plans for the evening!  My kind of night!

Be back soon and Happy Labor Day Weekend!!!  Serious FOMO (fear of missing out) of everyone in BP, and Care's (aka Carlos's) homemade ice cream!

XO, 

Caitlin 

P.S. Good luck to all of the Crusaders moving back on the Hill this weekend :) 

Labbacallee Wedge Tomb

Mitcheltown Cave Entrance


Chocolate cake :)

The Rock of Cashel, Co. Tipperary

The Rock of Cashel

Me, Chelsea, Jane, Nicole 

The Rock of Cashel Artwork

No comments:

Post a Comment