Thursday 16 April 2015

I Can Almost Taste the Pasta

Friday was travel day to Rome. I could not wait to get there and start my two weeks of exploring. More importantly, I couldn't wait to get there and see my parents and Carolyn! 

Jane and I had a 6:30 AM flight. This meant that we were leaving the hotel at 4:30 AM. Not very fun, but we were almost done with these very early departures. When we landed in Rome, the weather was GORGEOUS.  It had to be 65 degrees and sunny. We had about a half hour drive to our apartment, where my mom and dad were waiting for us. When I saw my dad waiting for us on the street, I was so happy. This was the longest I have ever gone without seeing my parents, three months to the day. I know this does not sound like that long of a time without seeing them, but if you know me, you know that I am such a homebody.  Going abroad was daring for me, even though I saw my mom and dad after only seven weeks last semester. Three months was a huge feat for me! 

Once we settled into the (awesome) apartment, we waited for Carolyn to arrive, and our family friend, Caroline (the one I visited in Copenhagen). After the whole gang got there, the six of us ventured to the Jewish Ghetto for lunch. This was one of Carolyn's favorite neighborhoods for food when she studied in Rome, so I was excited to go there! We went to a restaurant that literally looked like a hole in the wall. But oh my goodness, do not let the looks deceive you. The food was incredible. We had artichokes, pasta, chicken and roasted peppers, more pasta, bread, carbs, and more carbs. Bring on the food, Italy!

We walked all over the city after our feast. Rome was absolutely packed, which was not surprising, it was Easter weekend, after all. We went to the Trevi Fountain (which is under complete restoration currently, so no pics were taken), the Pantheon, the Piazza Navona, Carolyn's favorite cafe, Sant'Eustachio, and a lot of wandering, taking in the sites. I have been to Rome a few times before, however, after eight months of living in Europe, I have a total new appreciation for it. I was falling in love with Italy. 

Later that night, the gang headed to our cousin's house outside of the city. My dad's first cousin, Vito, invited us over for dinner.  It was so great seeing him and the rest of the family.  We never see these family members, or many of my Italian relatives, so this was a great treat. 

So far, day one was perfect. Be back soon (most likely overloaded on carbs--if there is such thing)!

XO,

Caitlin 

                   Jewish Ghetto

             Fam minus Maureen!
 
                       Pantheon

                 Such a nice day!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment